Curtis and I kicked off our weekend by running in the St. George 5K. It was the first time for both of us and a rather last minute decision....like 6 days before the actual race. Running hasn't ever been my favorite thing to do but I'd always wanted to run in a few races just to see how I could push myself. I told Curtis he had to stay with me the whole way because I was worried I'd walk if I got tired and I wanted him there to push me....not literally of course!) After about half a mile, I felt bad he was going slow because of me and told him to go ahead of me. I turned up the music loud and enjoyed a little people watching along the way. I finished in a much better time than I had ever anticipated, mostly because I'd never run that far before. It may have been slightly emotional as well coming up on the finish line and see Curtis there cheering me on. It felt so good to cross that finish line and we are already planning out next race.
My sister-in-law was in town with her kids to run the race as well and we met up with them Sunday morning to let the kids play at the park. The girls had a great time crossing the monkey bars, something I can't even do anymore, and the boys were giggling like crazy on the swings. My kids get so excited when Alex and Jake are in town and they get along really well together. We are so lucky to live in the same town as her parents so we get to see them more often. Taylor keeps telling us we need to go to Arizona to visit them now, so we may have a trip in our future.
We raced home in time to have lunch and make it to Primary. Boston had started to get a little cold the day before and didn't sleep well on Saturday night so after the park on Sunday I began to wonder if he would make it through the day without his nap. As the kids were leaving singing time to go to their classes, his teacher stopped me and told me he was falling asleep in his chair. My friend, Angie, was doing Sharing Time and said she kept getting distracted worrying if he would fall off his chair! It is sooo unlike him to do that so he must have been really tired:) After church, we decided to take the kids on a walk on one of the river trails since it was such a nice day, and our muscles needed a little loosening up. The kids rode their bikes and Curtis and I walked with Maddox in the stroller.
We love St. George for this reason, being able to enjoy the beautiful landscape in January in just a light jacket. We have focused more on spending time together doing things and it has brought such a difference to our family. Everyone gets along a little better and we definitely have a lot of fun doing it. I've made it a goal to take more pictures with my kids rather than always being the one behind the lends....I want my kids to look back at pictures and see me there apart of it all rather than just them with their dad! I'm lucky to be Mom to these 3 special people and even though some days have me screaming, frustrated, tired and at my wits end; they make me want to be better each day.
The bike ride really wore the kids out and we had them all home, in bed asleep by 8 o'clock. There is nothing better than ending a day with peaceful sleeping kids and some quiet time with the hubby.
2 comments:
That is awesome that you did the 5K. Those are hard! I did one a few years back and it really is an accomplishment! Your kiddos are still as cute as ever!
You are doing such an awesome job making memories with those darling kids!! Congrats to both you and Curt for the run!!!
Post a Comment